Sunday 9 June 2013

Concept by Silhouette - Sci Fi Drones

Here are some concept designs that I have done for a science fiction (Sci Fi) flying drone.  I gave myself certain constraints to generate a specific type of drone.  I wanted the drone to have small mechanical arms (for picking up and moving material) and an antenna of some kind for communication.  As you can already see design number 7 doesn't fit into these constraints making it standout like a sore thumb.  Also designs 3 and 4, don't have antennas.  I mostly used these designs to help generate other ideas; you can see how designs 12 and 16 are very similar to 7.

Making concepts by silhouettes is a really quick and easy way to generate a lot of concepts in a short amount of time.  The more concepts you make the more options and various that you have the potential for developing.  It also gives the client more options to choose from, there might even be different elements from different designs which a client likes.  For example you might like design 10, but you want it to have elements of design 6 in it.

To make the silhouettes all you need to do is block colour (with a normal brush) onto a blank canvas.  Then, using the eraser tool, I have added details to the silhouettes to give the designs more interest and make suggestions as to have it works.

I'm hoping to develop some of these designs further and I'm very interested to see what you think of them.  Try picking out your three favourite designs and posting a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment