Wednesday 19 June 2013

"I love Coffee" - Illustration

Thomas Gomes "I love Coffee" 2013
Although I'm not so keen on coffee I realize that a vast majority of people in the world, particularly illustrators, do drink it on a regular basis.  So I decided to do an illustration based on the love that people show to coffee.

To make this illustration I made an ink drawing over a pencil sketch and then scanned it in using my new scanner.  Next I imported the ink drawing into Photoshop and worked on the drawing from there.  I've based the colours on those found in coffee, but I've also included the coffee bean in the middle of the cup to further suggest the subject matter.  The heart is there to reinforce the idea of love and attachment that people feel towards this drink.

I found that adding my own paper textures into the illustration helped to make the drawing more visually interesting. 

If or when I make the next version (most likely tea) I will try to use the same composition in the hopes of making a series of "hot drink "illustrations rather than just a one off drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment